Chinese names a.k.a 华文名字

I always think that the Chinese race have one of the most unique system when it comes to naming ...since we have tons of surnames...which some common ones will be : Lee  , Zhang  , Lim / Lin   and Chen 


and yet....have so many variants !!! For instance :


Tan and Chen =  ... The difference is Tan is for Hokkiens , and Chen is usually for Cantonese... or
Lim and Lam = Lim mostly are for Hokkiens , and Lam is usually for Cantonese...


wow...interesting huh ??? 


Actually , other than some of the example above , there are over 100+ surnames !!! ( where I checked mine....was on the 52nd on the list XD a.k.a ..


Also , by looking at your surname...( the Variants  especially , ) you can identify you are from what clan or so XD 


For Instance :   = Kang , Kiang , Kong , Gang and the list goes on....


The difference is that : Kang = Teochew , Kiang = mandarin pinyin , Kong = Cantonese , Gang = Korean 


so judging from the above , I'm Teochew haha... XD which is a dialect spoken by Southern Min Nan people..wow and the list goes on !! ( quite interesting to know about your roots and etc XD ) 
___________________________________________________________________________________________


Okay...now I'm curious... come to think about it , giving your child chinese name , is not as easy as it seems.... because it depends on your surnames as well !!


I used to ask my parents why they choose my name ? ( 依婷 = Yi Ting or for some , Yee Teng ) which is actually quite common XD especially the 依 is always used to compliment another name such as " Yi Wen " , or like my cousin , " Yi Ling " and the 婷 can be used as " Ting Ting  - which my parents called me by that name...lol ...look like i'm a small kid huh ? but in your parents eyes , you are forever a young child XD ahh..random XD " OR " shi Ting " , " Wei Ting - my cousin's wife" etc.....


It's quite hilarious because I have a friend who shares my name : as in 依婷 but instead of " Kang Yi Ting " , her's is " Kong Yee Teng " ...but same chinese characters and all lols !!!! and my cousin's " Yi " was inspired by my name and my cousin's wife is " Wei Ting " but my relatives call her Ting Ting...which haha !!! seriously !!! we should take a picture because we always get confused when they shout " TING TING !!! " xD really REALLY FUNNY !! XD XD 


I used to think that Yi Ting is really....so notttt... mee....and I was actually grateful that my mum named me " Chermaine " = Chermaine Kang Yi Ting...which i think it helps me a lot in many many ways I cannot explain...


We were randomly discussing about how my name came about...and it was because of a character in a Chinese movie who was preeeeetyyy and my parents love her...Her name is " Shi Ting " and they nearly named me that when my uncle said " heyyyyy DON'T !! " SHI TING " is nice but if you add "  = jiang " to it , it will sound like " JIANG SHI TING " = which when it's translated , becomes  " Vampire / Chinese Dracula Ting " ...and there are many other opinions...but all failed...because of my really really unique surname...( which my parents..and later me found that it's hard to find some rare names which can rhyme witih it ) 


I was thinking that time and I agreed with my mum....super duper hard whey !!! 


But some surnames are really versatile...which gives you more freedom and room to choose " unique " names...such as Lim or Lee.... ( my mum said that...which I agreed since we tried to fit random names and it sounds really smooth with Lim AND really awkward with Kang XD ) 


but on the bright side , I'm grateful to have such simple name !!  I used to be in a Chinese kinder. for two years and I did not get any scoldings for messing up my name or forgetting a " pie "  or so ( maybe my name is toooo simple !! ) and yeah... 


I <3 my simple name :) it really compliments with my really really unrhyming ( dont worry...no such word in the dictionary ) and it fits " CHERMAINE " well enough XD 


Let's scream : SO RANDOM !! ( YEAH.. i know xD ) 


oh ya... THIS FREAKS ME OUT !!! : A LOT !!! : :  : 


 Happy HALLOWEEN !! ( THe chinese character way XD ) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Chinese International 2012 : Results & Overall Review

BEAUTY vs BRAINS

Miss Astro 2011 a.k.a Miss Malaysia Chinese International 2011