Random musings on 'Becoming Hannah: A Personal Journey'

Being quarantined at home for the past 3 days is quite an experience. It's been a LONG while since I'm able to catch up on my favorite Korean variety shows and documentaries. Suddenly, it has dawned upon me that I have not completed a single book this year. Yes, what a shame for a so-called "bookworm". LOL, at this point, I think I'm more like an "Online Articles" worm.

Truthfully, this book has traveled with me to several countries but I never brought myself to complete the entire book. Hence, completing this book within one day felt amazing. I suddenly felt a renewed sense of joy in reading physical books after so long. Also, reading this book now falls at the perfect juncture in my life: Finding my OWN identity (apart from my family or work), Learning to obey God and know his will in my life, juggling with my unique responsibilities, and learning to give back to the society.

Judging from the cover, I perceived that this is just another success story of a young, accidental politician. However, after flipping through the pages, I was surprised that everything in her journey, including her foray into politics and even the man she marries, is NOTHING ACCIDENTAL. Every SINGLE detail in her life is carefully orchestrated by God even if he "messed" up with her original plans.

Random time!
I'm nowhere near YB Hannah Yeoh, but I realized we share some similarities:
1) We love McDonalds 'Fillet-O-Fish'
2) Our strength lies in arts and languages, but due to family and peer pressure, we settled in Science stream instead
4) We choose law (in my case it was only up to A-Level) because we are weak in Math and Science
5) We work hard to get good grades in college and university to redeem our average SPM results.
6) We are honest and vulnerable in sharing our struggles and experience with people.

Musings:

1) The author is very transparent, honest, and vulnerable in sharing her journey. 

After reading countless autobiographies, this book comes across as the most transparent and vulnerable read, especially coming from a Malaysian politician. It's rare to see politicians sharing their personal fears and weakness to the readers: Her struggles with body image and public perception, her fear of responsibilities once she won the election, how clueless she was about politics before becoming a YB, and admitting that every knowledge she gained in politics is acquired on-the-job.

I was comforted by her sharing because I always feel guilty for fearing my responsibilities and feeling stupid for not knowing many things in my career and life. She just reminded me that I'm in my 20s, and it's okay for me to explore and learn on-the-job and as much as I can before I establish my clear path and principles in my 30s.

It's okay to feel stupid now because stupidity will spur me to gain more knowledge and skills.

2) Politics CAN be clean and Christian politicians lack support 

For the longest time, I always assumed that that politics is dirty AND when it involves a Christian politician, the congregation tends to get judgy (I used to judge internally when politicians spoke in churches). She was honest in pointing out that many people in the church do not like Christians involving in politics because they assumed that it's a dirty game. It has come to the realization that many in the church want to change to happen and expect politicians to set better examples for the people BUT little did I realize that politicians lack a ministry to support their personal needs for spiritual direction and accountability.

3) God can use ordinary people to do extraordinary things

Her story of how a 29-year-old law graduate with zero experience in politics went on to beat a heavyweight veteran in politics to be an assemblywoman is akin to David and Goliah in the bible. I couldn't elaborate more in fear of spoiling the entire book, but everything she does really shows God's power. I do admire her willingness to surrender her all to God and just be his vessel. Honestly, it's not easy, and I'm still learning how to surrender and obey his will every single day.

4) Be honest and know your limits. You can't help everybody

I felt a sense of calmness when I read about Hannah coming to terms that she couldn't help everybody and IT'S NOT SOMETHING TO FEEL GUILTY OVER. Truthfully, I always feel terrible when I couldn't help many Autistic families but it has come to a point that I have to be truthful to myself To what extent I can help the Autism community without neglecting my two brothers who need me the most?

Honestly, my priority will always be my brothers. I have to ensure that they have a stable career and be independent.  I can help the Autism community by sharing my experience as a sibling, giving tips to Autism families on what therapy to start on/ what schools to go, and providing opportunities for persons with Autism. However, it's out of my limits to form a foundation to help Autistic talents or mentoring Autism families personally, etc. I'm truly sorry BUT this is out of my ability and commitments.

5) Listen more, Speak less. 

I'm truly humbled when she explained that many senior leaders in her party actually listen more than they speak. This is truly something that our world needs right now when everybody is just listening to speak. Something that I truly need to improve on.

Our young people have so much potential and ideas, but many times these ideas are buried because many elders are too prideful to let them speak their minds.

Truly something to take note of. Be humble to seek counsel from others. There's always something to learn from everybody regardless of age.

6) In the workplace (and the world), having High EQ is more important than High IQ

This is something that I still learning daily. Admittedly, my EQ is not so good but I strive to be more understanding, self-aware, empathetic and speak more effectively.

There are tons more lessons, but I don't have the time to squeeze in everything haha. Till then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Chinese International 2012 : Results & Overall Review

BEAUTY vs BRAINS

Miss Astro 2011 a.k.a Miss Malaysia Chinese International 2011